I was perusing the interwebs, on the hunt for a quick and delicious dessert, when I hit the jack pot!
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
What you will need:
- Food Processor
- Pot/Saucepan of water
- Heatproof Bowl
- Bowl/Ramekins/Dish to serve
- Maple Syrup – to taste
- 1/4 cup of Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 x 150g Dark Chocolate (I used Lindt 70% and you will only need 1 whole block and 3/4 of the other block, using the excess for garnish)
- 1/3 cup of Coconut Cream
- Vanilla Extract – to taste (I used Vanilla Bean Paste)
- 2 x ripe Avocados
1. Bring roughly an inch of water to boil in a pot/saucepan and bring down to a simmer. Break 1 block of chocolate and 3/4 of the other block into smaller pieces. Place into your heat proof bowl and sit bowl in the mouth of the saucepan. Be sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir occasionally until only a few pieces are left and then remove from heat. The residual heat in the bowl will melt the rest of the chocolate. Set melted chocolate to the side to cool (Placing in the fridge is an option as long as you keep an eye on it so it doesn’t turn solid again).
2. Cut open avocados and remove seeds. Scoop out the flesh and add to the food processor. Process until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides occasionally. Add raw cacao powder, coconut cream, vanilla extract and maple syrup and process until smooth and silky. Again stopping to scrape down sides if necessary.
3. Place into serving dishes or one large bowl to serve from and leave in fridge for 20 minutes or until set (time may vary if using one large serving dish).
4. Once set, upon serving grate excess chocolate over the top or add toppings of your choosing. Shredded coconut, chia seeds, berries, and nuts are all options.
This was very delicious, and somewhat nutritious. The texture was smooth and creamy and I couldn’t quite believe it was avocado!! However, it was very rich and only a small amount was needed; A perfect option for if you wanted a cheeky spoonful of something that tastes naughty. I am yet to try it, but I think the mousse would go well with a chia pudding, a raw cheesecake or a banana ice-cream!
Let me know if you give it a try and if you add anything to change flavours. It is quite simple and very adaptable.
I found this recipe on The Helpful Vegan (thehelpfulvegan.com), however the domain has since expired and I can’t find her anywhere!! :(
Keep it real, and enjoy